Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Shrikhand


Shrikhand is one of the popular dishes in Maharashtra. And it happens to be one of my favorite desserts. It goes very well with pooris.

Ingredients:

2 cups fresh yogurt
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1 tbsp milk
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
few saffron strands
chopped pistachios for garnish

Method:

Mix the saffron strands, nutmeg and cardamom powder in milk and keep aside. Place the yogurt in a muslin cloth(or a thin white cloth). Tie the ends of the cloth together and hang it for atleast two hours. Once all the water from the yogurt has drained, pour it into a bowl. Add powdered sugar, saffron milk and beat well until there are no lumps and everything is well blended. Refrigerate for an hour. Serve as is, or with pooris.

Serves 4

8 comments:

shahana said...

Even it is my favorite!! Looks really yumm

Preeti said...

looks yummy Aarti. Can it also be in orange colour? Somehow I related shirkand being mango orange clour. This is my sister's fave dessert :)

Springbird said...

Oh Srikand is my dh's fav.I know it goes well with poori but isnt it strange oil and yogurt together.Nice click.

Ramya Vijaykumar said...

I used to make Shrikands during summers... Winters are just killing here, and your Shrikand lmakes me drool!!! Cant wait to make some!!!

http://memoryarchieved.blogspot.com

Sanghi said...

Wow..! Perfect delicious dessert da!

Arathi Sridhar said...

thanks all for the comments..
@preeti, usually i soak the saffron in warm milk and mix it in, and thats when you get that orangish color..i skipped that step and garnished with saffron instead.

Arathi Sridhar said...

@soumya, yeah when i first heard of the combination, i felt the same..but when i tasted it, just loved it with pooris..It is a popular dish in maharashtra..

Anonymous said...

Arathi,
I just love this dessert, Your picture makes me crave for it now!

Deepti